Sunday, February 17, 2008

Poor, Sweet Girl


This weekend we have some friends in town for the long weekend. Last night, we went to visit and play games with our friends, and their family. We were all crowded around the kitchen table playing Yahtzee when my friend's brother came home, Uncle T.
Well, L just began to shrink in her chair. She had the oddest look on her face. I couldn't figure out what was the matter, she started to whimper, and big tears were rolling down her face. I took her into the living room where C was playing wii, to see if he could help to settle her. She cuddled up to him with a chocolate in one hand and a piece of licorice in the other, but continued to whimper.

A little while later, C called me into the room. L was still crying, and trembling like mad. She was asking for me. I sat beside her and we had a quiet conversation about what was wrong. I asked her if she was scared of Uncle T. She said yes she was, and quivered even more. I said that there was no reson to be afraid, he was just a big teddy bear!

My Poor Girl.
"He NOT a teddy bear, he a OGRE!"

C and I could not contain our laughter, the poor little girl thought there was a real, live ogre in the house. I have no idea through what frame of reference she decided that he is the image of an ogre, but I truly can't say I blame her!

Finally, the fear subsided, and they even shared some snacks later on. It just grabbed at my heart and twisted to see the little thing so truly frightened.

Teddy Bear or Ogre? Tough call.

3 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

It's an Ogre Bear!! LMAO

Jean said...

Hmmmm...different shirt and maybe I'd call him a teddy bear!

~k said...

This is my favorite L story, ever!