Thursday, October 22, 2009

About the Girls

It's been a while since I posted anything other than pictures. I thought maybe I should post a little about the girls, their habits, their personalities. If you don't see them often, there are lots of things you might not know! I will make an effort to be more regular in this type of post.

Lochlyn is a smart little four year old. She is still little, probably around 34 pounds, but she always looks like she is getting taller. This fall she started going to a new preschool, and she is back in gymnastics. Watching her in gymnastics, I see she has come a long way. She isn't as timid anymore on the balance beams, or on the bars. She is more willing to try things, and is getting braver.

She has a pretty wide bossy streak, and she can get a little rough with her sister. She can be a bit of a bully, laughing and teasing when she knows whatever it is she is doing is making her sister cry. Her catch-all defense when she is doing something wrong - hitting, not listening, jumping on he couch - is "Sorry. I forgot". However, she is very encouraging of her sister and her friends. She sits and watches Kinsley at her gymnastics class, and will clap and cheer every time Kinsley tries something new. She loves to give her hugs and kisses, but hasn't yet figured out that sometimes they are unwelcome.

She loves to colour and paint, she loves to dress up. She will carry around her magic wand, and cast spells on you, either to make your hair grow longer, or ask you "what do you want to be dressed as today?". She loves to sing, and will either make up songs, or sing what she has learned in school. She makes up a lot of nonsense words. She loves her Woody doll from Toy Story, and intends to take it to Show and Share. She makes us laugh a lot, like when she said "We better hurry home with Dad's coffee, so he doesn't crab around!" Or, when I told Chris to turn the oven on to 350*, she said "350??!? Whoa! That's a lot of 50's!".

Kinsley is also very little. Her percentiles have come up a little, but we still need to have a follow-up appointment in December. She is a great eater, as far as variety goes. There isn't much that she won't eat! Oddly, she still does better with the amount she eats if she sits and shares from our plate, rather than eating from her own. I think she is about 23 pounds now.

She is feisty. She is a daredevil. She is observant. She loves gymnastics, and is having a lot of fun with it. Kinsley is very drawn to the bars, and loves to hang and swing, which is totally opposite of Lochlyn. She jumps jumping, and tries doing seat-drops, even when she is just on the hardwood floor, not a crash mat.

She is talking more and more. She surprises us, repeating things we didn't know she had been listening to. She will climb up, give you a kiss, and say "I gave you a wet grandma kiss!". We have overheard her counting "2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 3, 4, 5". Every day that Lochlyn has school, Kinsley will get up at 2:30 and turn off the show she was watching and say "It time to go get Ha-In?" That's how it comes out when she says Lochlyn - Ha-In. We also hear her saying things like "Weave me awone", "I don't want kiss", "I had that first!"

I think we may put her in a 3 year old preschool class next year. I think when Lochlyn is in kindergarten, Kinsley is going to be lonely. I think she might not adjust as easily as Lochlyn did though, and that we can expect a few tears when that day comes. Although, she could surprise me, she often does.

Well, this is longer than I thought it would be, and there is so much more I could say. Perhaps if I did this more often, it wouldn't be so long!



1 comment:

Jen said...

What a lovely post! Glad to hear what your girls are up to.