Thursday, October 9, 2008

Damned if you do...


Seriously, I don't know what to do with this kid.

Lochlyn gave up naps probably when Kinsley was around a month old. Just like that, all hopes and dreams of me having tandem napping sweeties were dashed. I could not nap while the darlings napped, I could not shower while they napped, I could not do housework while they napped. "They" never napped together!

So, in the year since the disappearance of my oldest's daily siestas, I have come to learn that I can, in fact, get her to nap occassionally - if I strap her down. In her car seat, of course, I would never strap her down any other way! Such a thought has never, ever crossed my mind. Honest.

Here is where the problem lies. If Lochlyn does nap, you can count on her bedtime being pushed back in direct proportion with the length of her nap. Last night, it was nearly 10 pm before we finally got her to sleep! Poor Dad and I were quite frazzled with the whole situation!

Some days I go for a drive with the sole intention of making the two of them go to sleep. At the same time. For my sanity. However, when Dad gets home from work, looking for a peaceful couple of hours with the girls before they go to bed, he is instead faced with two rambunctious little ones who have little interest in their bedtime routine! Dilemma, no? Whose needs are more important - mine, looking for a little break in my day, or his, looking to relax after work? It is a question we tend to disagree upon. I have heard many times "No more naps for her!". Yeah, right, Daddy-O.

Today she has not napped. She is in desperate need. She is overly emotional, she is argumentative, she is stubborn, she is very fragile. She is driving me nuts! However, tonight is Survivor night. She can not stay up past her bedtime tonight. It is the one hour I insist on having in front of the tv. One must have their priorities in order.

2 comments:

Imcombobulated said...

I hope it worked, Karen!

TaraC said...

Ugh, we're going through this transition right now and I hate it!