
I don't know what is going on in that pretty little head of hers, but L has become a holy terror over the last few days. I am struggling with her independence, stubborness, and temper. I have no idea from where she got those traits ;D
Yesterday I was one of the not-so-proud parents of one of the kids you see having a full blown temper tatrum in the aisles of Walmart. I was giving in to her independent streak, and let her walk through the store rather than sit in the cart. This was with the proviso that she do as she was told, stand close, listen, and hold on to my hand or the cart at all times. That worked for a little while, then she started to wander. And that wonderful word "NO" started coming out of her mouth. A lot.
I lifted her up to put her in the cart, and that's when the full out screaming began. The kid's new favourite phrase is "NO!! DON'T GET ME!!", which she screamed over and over as I tried to strongarm her into the cart.
Why is it that a 2 year old has more strength to go stiff as a board, than I have strength to bend her?
I quickly grabbed the few things I needed and hightailed it out, both of us red-faced and shaking. Her, from the effort of a lovely tantrum, and me, from embarassment and anger.
I had no idea what to do to get her to stop. Quiet threats didn't work. Bargaining didn't work. What does one do to end a tantrum like that?
6 comments:
Ummmm....wait it out? Luckily I haven't had one like that in public though. James has been making that face too lately, BTW!
Delightful, isn't it? That tantrun was very out of character, I hope it was a one-off.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's in our power to stop them. We just get to endure them. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to leave a store dragging my wailing and thrashing offspring and trying desperately not to break into tears myself. She's certainly a cute little demon though, isn't she? :)
i have a friend who would have a tantrum alongside her daughter and it got her to stop. I would LOVE to see you try that at Walmart next time L pulls that on you!!! LMAO
Ha ha, I can only imagine the looks that would get! Sounds like fun.
I dunno what to suggest. Mine does that sort of thing with alarming regularity. If you find a magic solution, please let me know!!!
Post a Comment