Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My 100th Post

Hooray! 

Too bad I don't have anything exciting to say.

I wish I did. I wish I had a great idea for a book, and the ability to write it. I have been reading so many different authors lately, partly because of friends' recommendations, partly because of the book club, partly because of whatever book on the library shelf happens to call my name. Or Lochlyn or Kinsley's, because sometimes they pick my books for me.

At the moment I am reading Tom Robbins' book, Villa Incognito. This is the second book of his that I have read, the first being Skinny Legs and All. If these two books are any indicator, he seems to have a penchant for an unusual cast of characters. Can O'Beans. Dirty Sock. Tanukis. Strange cast aside, I find his books to be entertaining, funny, and thought provoking. 

Like this line, from Villa Incognito:
"Why," Tanuki grumbled, "would they fell trees but leave men standing? Trees are a damn sight more useful than people, and everything in the world know that excpet people."

I respect his ability to write from other perspectives, be it a drunken, scrotum swinging tanuki or a Painted Stick. I wish that I had the ability to write with such creativity and insight. 

How about you? Any books or authors striking your fancy these days?

No comments: